Thursday, June 23, 2011

Moar Boston and how I love seafood


We’re back on the road again, and had quite the eventful day after I last updated. So, as it turns out, Union Oyster House DOES have fantastic food. It also has really crappy service. I’m usually one to restaurant workers the benefit of the doubt. And I have to say, I felt super sorry for the waitress, she really did try. But the food took almost an hour to come out, so while the clam chowder was phenomenal, I eat fast and got to wait the good 45 minutes until my main course, fish and chips, came out. Luckily, that food was good, too.

Anyway, after we ate, we headed outside to check out the Holocaust Memorial… If you are unfamiliar with it, the memorial is composed of six 54-foot tall glass towers. Each tower sits on a black base with the name of one of the six largest death camps on it. The glass in the towers is neatly etched with numbers from those who were tattooed with their number and eventually killed. Embers in pits beneath the base send smoke up into the tower, giving it a very eerie quality. It’s easy to look at numbers as just numbers, but it’s the quotes that are also on the towers that really force you to face it.

2. An example from the New England Holocaust Memorial.

We were going to visit the New England Aquarium, but decided to pass on it, and instead walked around the grounds of the Christian Science Plaza. It had gotten pretty warm out at this point, and despite the intermittent breezes from what I can only assume to be Old Harbor, the humidity was oppressive so we didn’t spend too much time hanging around. What really struck me about the plaza was the stained glass windows from the Mother Church. I liked the extension too, although I never realized I was a fan of Italian Renaissance architecture.
Somehow this led to us wanting to go on a “church” tour (can you tell we planned ahead of time?) so we headed northward to check out Old South Church and Trinity Church. I might not be terribly religious…or religious at all… but I do appreciate the elaborate architecture of churches.
We had a reservation at Turner’s Seafood Grill for 7, so we left center city Boston around 6 to get there on time. This was a great idea, seeing as how ridiculous traffic became. It was worth the wait, though, because of how amazing the food was. Swordfish is amazing! I also picked at my friends’ meals, seeing as they all tried a variety of entrees.
So, here we are. We don’t actually have the RV we had planned yet, as it’s a fairly short distance between destinations so hotels shouldn’t be an issue finding. It’s only a 2 hour drive to Six Flags New England, so we already have a hotel booked and should be getting there shortly. Good thing too, ‘cause I’m exhausted. Good night!

No comments:

Post a Comment